One of the most common conditions our Westwood chiropractic team treats is sciatica. Sciatica takes its name from the sciatic nerve and is a medical term used in order to describe a very specific type of pain that relates to the injury or pinching of the sciatic nerve. A person with sciatica will feel a deep pain that starts at their buttocks and then radiates down to either one of their legs or both of their legs. We call the pain itself sciatica and it is often a symptom of other issues, such as a slipped disc. At Mass Sport & Spine Chiropractic, a chiropractor will work with a patient to treat both the underlying issue and the pain related to sciatica.
How to Know You Have Sciatica
Pain in the lower back and legs is the most common symptom of sciatica, but it is not the only one. Other common symptoms in those who suffer from sciatica include the following:
- Sharp or acute pain accompanied by the feeling of pins and needles, tingling, or numbness
- An increase of symptoms when sitting, sneezing, or coughing
- Pain that is only triggered when bending or similarly moving one's waist and back
- Tenderness and muscle spasms in the lower back
Some Common Causes of Sciatica
- Slipped disc: Also called a prolapsed disc or a herniated disc, a slipped disc is more than what the name implies. Intervertebral discs are filled with a gelatinous substance and act as a sort of shock absorber between the bones of the spinal cord. These discs normally move and twist with no issue, but sometimes situations happen when the gelatinous substance within the disc squeezes out of place. This imbalance in the spine creates pressure in certain spots, such as your sciatic nerve and as such, causes sciatica.
- Piriformis syndrome: The piriformis is an important muscle found within the buttocks and close to the sciatic nerve. Piriformis syndrome occurs when this muscle spasms due to injury, overuse, or something else. Those spasms put pressure on the sciatic nerve and thus results in sciatica.
Sciatica Treatment With Your Local Chiropractor
The first thing our team does is to help each client receive some much-needed pain relief. At Mass Sport & Spine Chiropractic in Westwood, our team of chiropractors treats many patients who suffer from sciatica. It is a painful condition, but also a common one and there are a number of great treatment options available. Don’t let sciatica control your life, call us today to book your appointment.